L-theanine (N-ethyl-γ-glutamine) is the main amino acid in tea leaves. It not only contributes to tea flavor but also possesses several health benefits. Compared with its sedative and calming activities, the immunomodulatory effects of L-theanine have received less attention. Clinical and epidemiological studies have shown that L-theanine reduces immunosuppression caused by strenuous exercise and prevents colds and influenza by improving immunity. Numerous cell and animal studies have proven that theanine plays an immunoregulatory role in inflammation, nerve damage, the intestinal tract, and tumors by regulating γδT lymphocyte function, glutathione (GSH) synthesis, and the secretion of cytokines and neurotransmitters. In addition, theanine can be used as an immunomodulator in animal production. This article reviews the research progress of L-theanine on immunoregulation and related mechanisms, as well as its application in poultry and animal husbandry. It is hoped that this work will be beneficial to future related research.
Keywords: L-theanine; application; immunoregulation; mechanism.
Conflict of interest statement
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
Biotechnol Adv. 2015 May-Aug;33(3-4):335-42. doi: 10.1016/j.biotechadv.2015.04.004. Epub 2015 Apr 12.PMID: 25871834 Review.
Poult Sci. 2020 Nov;99(11):5625-5636. doi: 10.1016/j.psj.2020.07.016. Epub 2020 Aug 6.PMID: 33142480 Free PMC article. Review.
J Sci Food Agric. 2011 Aug 30;91(11):1931-9. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.4373. Epub 2011 Mar 29.PMID: 21735448 Review.
J Agric Food Chem. 2021 Nov 24;69(46):13904-13915. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.1c04567. Epub 2021 Nov 14.PMID: 34775761
J Agric Food Chem. 2021 Feb 3;69(4):1187-1196. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.0c06694. Epub 2021 Jan 21.PMID: 33475342 Review.
- Vuong Q.V., Bowyer M.C., Roach P.D. L-theanine: Properties, synthesis and isolation from tea. J. Sci. Food Agric. 2011;91:1931–1939. doi: 10.1002/jsfa.4373. – DOI – PubMed
- Zhongying L., Qiansong R., Ke P., Qin L., Ting Y., Yuqiao D., Shimao F., Wenjia Z. Flavor characteristics of three amino acid monomers based on electronic tongue. Food Sci. Technol. 2022;47:296–302.
- van der Pijl P.C., Chen L., Mulder T.P.J. Human disposition of L-theanine in tea or aqueous solution. J. Funct. Foods. 2010;2:239–244. doi: 10.1016/j.jff.2010.08.001. – DOI
- Terashima T., Takido J., Yokogoshi H. Time-dependent changes of amino acids in the serum, liver, brain and urine of rats administered with theanine. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 1999;63:615–618. doi: 10.1271/bbb.63.615. – DOI – PubMed
- Tan J., Lin Z., Li L. Toxicological studies on compound theanine preparation. Food Sci. 2011;32:262–267.